Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My Problem With ESPN by The rANT

 

The Rant seems to have a problem with ESPN and I can totally agree with some of his points. Read the full story after the jump.


My Problem With ESPN
 I first started watching the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) way back in 2002. I remember channel surfing, looking for something to watch and I stumbled across it when I saw a glimpse of an NBA highlight. ESPN soon became my favorite channel. I would wake up every Saturday morning, lay in bed and watch SportsCenter for hours at a time. I would catch the radio shows that were featured on Tv every morning before school. I thought it was the best thing in the world.
Now I can't stand it.
What happened? I noticed that real news turned into speculation. I noticed that ESPN would spend several months at a time on topics that were NOT newsworthy. They would dedicate their entire programs to irrelevant players or to players that just flat out sucked. Look, I understand everything is about ratings. High ratings bring in sponsorships and sponsorships bring in money. But ESPN is just downright unwatchable these days.
1) ESPN's decline (from my perception) started during Brett Favre's retirement drama. Every offseason for about 3 straight years he would waffle between retiring and coming back to play. He was a big name back then, I get it. But what I will never understand is why ESPN reporters had to camp out on Favre's front lawn, waiting for him to come out to give them an answer. That is just ridiculous to me. You have to beat out the competition, fine. Why don't you just have them call you when he's ready to give you his decision?
2) I remember during the summer of 2010, about a year after the Favre drama ended, the New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl (in 2010, but it was the 2009 season) and my Los Angeles Lakers won their 2nd consecutive NBA title. Who had ESPN's attention? Normally it would've been those two teams. But ESPN couldn't stop talking about LeBron's Free Agency decision. I understand LeBron is the best player in the league but ESPN speculated that ENTIRE SEASON on where he was going to go. It was a major distraction for him and I felt like it was disrespectful to shrug off the champions for that year. The next summer (2011), when he lost against the Dallas Mavericks, ESPN almost gave them no credit for winning their 1st ever NBA championship and spent most of that summer talking about LeBron's legacy (at the time).
3) I remember the Tim Tebow "era" when he was a Denver Bronco (2009-12). He was a high profile QB from Florida who was a devoted Christian and was very outspoken about it. I respect him because he isn't ashamed of his faith. I don't respect his skills as a quarterback. He is THE WORST NFL quarterback I have ever seen and yet ESPN (mainly Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless) spent all day, everyday talking about him, his faith, how he's winning games, is God a Broncos fan?, is it all a fluke?, ENOUGH. The worst of it when the Broncos kept stringing together come-from-behind wins against good teams. ESPN barely gave credit to the defense and praised Tebow for the wins. More times than not Tebow was GARBAGE for the 1st 55 minutes of the game before he somehow dramatically became Tom Brady in the last 5 minutes. If it wasn't for the defense, Denver would not have been in those games to begin with. When Tebow was traded to the New York Jets in the 2012 offseason, I remember ESPN camped out at the Jets training camp.. even though the crosstown rivals, New York Giants, had won the Super Bowl a month before Tebow was traded.
4) And now its Michael Sam. Look, Im not homophobic and I have no issue with him being gay (if you have an issue, fine.. just keep reading). I just have a problem with ESPN promoting the gay stereotype. All Michael Sam has asked for is to be judged as a football player and by what he does on the field. I respect him for this because he doesn't want the distraction and wants to be treated the same. But ESPN did the COMPLETE OPPOSITE during the weekend. While everyone was waiting to see if he would get drafted or not, ESPN's Shelley Smith tweeted these pictures..

This is what I mean by stereotypical behavior. I get he's popular in the LBGT community. But Michael Sam's fanbase isn't all just gay people. Im pretty sure for certain that he has fans who are straight (I'll be a fan because he's actually a good dude). Shelley Smith could've done her research and gone to a restaurant in a town where being gay isn't a big deal to prove her point. Her pictures enforce the stereotype that people who are gay dress up in different colors and wear makeup. In fact, people who are gay sometimes blend into the crowd so well that you cant even tell unless you ask them straight up. Also, what has been forgotten is that he was a SEVENTH ROUND PICK. He had a horrible combine and is small for his position. I hear he's a hard worker and can prove that the combine was a fluke but he's being talked about more than #1 overall pick, Jadeveon Clowney or high-profile QB Johnny Manziel. I have a feeling that ESPN is going to play the discrimination card if the St. Louis Rams decide to cut him this offseason because they feel like he isn't good enough (hypothetically, like all other draft picks I hope he makes the squad).
Well those are MY issues with ESPN. There are others such as the Donald Sterling saga, LeBron (continued), soon-to-be Kevin Durant (when he's the face of the league), the NBA Countdown Crew, Magic Johnson's analysis (he's "Captain Obvious"), the NBA commentating (mainly Jeff Van Gundy), former NBA coach George Karl listing his top 5 favorite rappers and many others. But the 4 I listed above were my biggest issues. The only times I watch ESPN on Tv is when an NFL/NBA draft/game is on (I watch on mute) or if it's a 30-for-30. ESPN radio (depends on the city) and online isn't so bad but on Tv it's horrible. Hopefully they will go back to covering REAL news instead of non-stop speculation and bad analysis.
Thanks for reading! 
Twitter: @the_rANT_

No comments:

Post a Comment